Investing in insight
Our investment in market-driven research, combined with product development, refinement and enhancement have created a portfolio that features best-in-class technologies and systems.
Chemistry allows scientists to engineer products at the molecular level, optimizing them for specific sustainable performance attributes. Attributes like superior insulation properties, extreme durability, reduced waste, faster installation, improved air quality, and a lower environmental impact.
In 2013, we invested about €1.84 billion in R&D projects. In fact, we have increased our research and development budget by more than 70% since 2005. Around 10,500 employees are engaged in research and development in about 3,000 projects at approximately 70 locations around the world.
Our central research and development organization is also integrated into a global network of more than 600 excellent universities, research institutions and companies. All to address customer needs, create new technologies, and provide you with competitive advantages.
Building science, building the future
Our scientists work on game-changing emerging technologies — technologies that could radically improve building energy efficiency and help bring renewable energy systems closer to widespread reality.
BASF is at the forefront of new product research and development in the construction industry. In 1951, we introduced expandable polystyrene (EPS) insulation to the market. Then in 1998, we enhanced EPS with graphite for 20% greater thermal performance. In 2006, we introduced a polyurethane-based invention that significantly increases coastal protection from erosion. We also recently introduced phase-change material for wallboard.
What are we working on now?
- Next-generation nanofoam insulating materials that reduce heat conduction to less than half
- Solar cells based on organic semi-conductor materials
- Transparent Near Infrared (NIR) reflective pigments that can be formulated to reflect up to 45% of solar radiation
- Vacuum insulated panels (VIPs) that provide an insulating value three to seven times greater than equivalent thickness of other insulation materials
- Roof coatings with enhanced early rain resistance to extend the roofing season
- Primerless sealants that adhere to almost every substrate on a project
At BASF, we create chemistry for emerging technologies.